emergency room visits
active clinical trials
Serving Saskatchewan Families
Founded in 1992, Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation is dedicated to raising funds for the enhancement of maternal and children’s health care in Saskatchewan and Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital. We are proud to provide enhancements to maternal and paediatric equipment, research, and technology needs thanks to the support from every corner of Saskatchewan and beyond.
The Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital officially opened on September 29, 2019. Together, we are writing the next chapter of maternal and paediatric care to ensure our new provincial hospital is a world-class facility for generations to come.
First Patient Day
After nearly two decades of dreaming, planning and fundraising, Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital officially opened its doors on September 29, 2019, ensuring that Saskatchewan is no longer one of two provinces in Canada not served by a dedicated children’s hospital. This access to revolutionary services and care will change the health of Saskatchewan families.
Milestones on opening day
- The doors opened to 400,000 total square footage of Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital
- 176 private patient rooms opened up
- Over 20 departments and 2,200 staff moved to the new facility
- 112 maternal and paediatric patients were safely and successfully moved into the new hospital.
- The first baby born was Theodore Jon Lyle Gunther born at 2:32PM 5LBS 2OZ
- All paediatric and Maternal patient moves completed at 11:31AM, 3 minutes ahead of schedule
- The first new patient in paediatric emergency entered the hospital at 6:10AM
- It took 4 hours and 14 minutes to safely move all maternal and paediatric patients
2020 marked the hospital’s one year anniversary
In the first year of opening Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital saw:
- 5,466 babies born
- 3,318 surgical cases
- 51% of paediatric surgical cases from outside Saskatoon & Area
- 1,246 visitors to the Child Life Zone
- 413 siblings spent time in child minding
- 18,843 paediatric emergency visits
- 23 specialties in paediatric outpatients
Child Life Zone to support healing
Young patients at Saskatchewan’s new children’s hospital now have a special space to play, learn, laugh, and relax in a new state-of-the-art therapeutic play area called the Child Life Zone*.The Zone allows children to heal faster, hope higher, and do what children are meant to do use their imaginations to be kids! The Zone joins 11 others across North America, including Atlanta, Colorado, Dallas, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New York, Oklahoma and Phoenix. Saskatchewan’s new zone is the first in Canada.
*The Child Life Zone has been generous supported by Garth Brooks and the Teammates for Kids Foundation.
paediatric health touches us all
Most people are either directly affected or know someone who’s affected by childhood illness. Let’s change that.
About Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation
Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital is Saskatchewan’s first-ever dedicated maternal and paediatric hospital. The 176-bed facility officially opened doors on September 29, 2019 and acts as a provincial hub; ensuring children, moms-to-be and families across Saskatchewan have access to the best care possible, no matter what their postal code is.
Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital specializes in research, family-centred care and the use of remote-presence robotic technology to help meet the needs of the 60 per cent of children living in rural and northern Saskatchewan communities.