emergency room visits
At SickKids, we're fighting for a healthy childhood.
To save lives, to find new cures, and to provide world-class care: We’re fighting to make every kid a healthy kid.
For children and families in medical crisis, we’re a beacon of hope. Established in 1972, SickKids Foundation raises funds on behalf of The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and is the largest charitable funder of child health research, learning and care in Canada.
World-class care for kids.
SickKids is both a local children’s hospital and a global leader in paediatric healthcare. We treat broken arms and appendicitis, rare brain cancers, and fetal heart defects. Our patients come from all corners of Ontario, across Canada, and from other parts of the world.
We’re there for children and families in medical crisis.
Did you know
• Our 41-bed neonatal intensive care unit is one of the busiest in Canada, caring for more than 800 critically ill babies each year
• Our paediatric intensive care unit is Canada’s largest: there are about 200 paediatric critical care beds across Canada and SickKids has 42 of them
• We have the most comprehensive paediatric Bone and Marrow Transplant/Cellular Therapy program in Canada, and provide half of the bone-marrow transplants for children in Canada
• SickKids performs about 12,000 surgeries a year – more than any other children’s hospital in Canada – with more than 3,200 emergency surgeries last year.
• We have one of the world’s busiest paediatric transplant centres, with 66 transplants performed last year
• We’re Canada’s most research-intensive children’s hospital with 3,200+ active research projects and 230 labs at the SickKids Research Institute
Lifting paediatric healthcare to new heights
Despite our successes, we are fighting against the limits of an outdated building, the limits on generating new knowledge and translating it into treatment, and the limits on delivering seamless health care to every child.
That’s where you come in. We need you on our side. Be part of the SickKids VS Limits Campaign, the biggest fundraising campaign in Canadian healthcare history. Help us raise $1.5 billion and build a brand-new SickKids. The campaign to build a new SickKids has never felt so vital.
- Reimagine our Campus: We’re undertaking a near-total rebuild of our aging hospital, so that we’re no longer limited by old spaces, equipment, and models of care
- Continue Breakthrough Research: We’re ramping up support for our scientists by investing in research leadership, clinical trials, and discovery science—the ideas that will deliver tomorrow’s breakthroughs
- Partner for Better Care: We’re working with health-care partners across Canada and around the world to build expertise here and abroad, because we believe that where you live shouldn’t determine if you live
Gregory has Crouzon Syndrome, a rare disorder affecting the growth of the bones in his skull.
Help us win the fight
Together, let’s lift paediatric healthcare to new heights.
About SickKids in Toronto
SickKids is Canada’s leading centre dedicated to advancing children’s health through the integration of patient care, research and education. Founded in 1875 and affiliated with the University of Toronto, SickKids is one of Canada’s most research-intensive hospitals and has generated discoveries that have helped children globally. Its mission is to provide the best in complex and specialized family-centred care; pioneer scientific and clinical advancements; share expertise; foster an academic environment that nurtures health-care professionals; and champion an accessible, comprehensive and sustainable child health system. SickKids is a founding member of Kids Health Alliance, a network of partners working to create a high quality, consistent and coordinated approach to paediatric healthcare that is centred around children, youth and their families. SickKids is proud of its vision for Healthier Children. A Better World.
525 University Ave, Suite 835
Toronto, ON M5G 2L3